Monday, August 4, 2014

Hellblazer by Jamie Delano issue #4

First off, I liked the creepiness factor of this issue, but it wasn't that strong of a story for me unlike the last three before it. Nevertheless, what I did enjoy the most is that John Constantine becomes very personable in this one, most likely because we get to see him in different roles: as a brother, uncle, and a lover. To recap, we have already seen him as a man who makes hard decisions that would often cost him sacrificing people he cares about for a utilitarian purpose (#2) and as a man of impulses but with of discerning attitude when caught in a pinch (#3).

For this issue called Waiting for the Man, we see Constantine in a pub somewhere in London, I assume, having a good time playing pool with some chaps and his BFF Chas Chandler. There is a noticeable change in the way he inner monologues too, which gave readers the impression that Constantine is indeed very relaxed. And the guy does deserve some break, you know. In just a span of three issues, he sacrificed a friend to bind a demon, and he was almost eaten by a collective of them later on. I don't know about you, but I simply admire the fact that he can still get himself out of bed and be John Constantine. 

A few drinks and some good company can be quite enough for someone with his career choice, and Constantine is determined not to let the opportunity for fun pass because he can't possibly know when the next good times will come around again. 

In line with this newfound optimism, Constantine meets an enigmatic woman named Zed whom he spotted in an alleyway. He was easily taken with her and invited her for dinner. It was a very random meeting which is so Constantine, isn't it? There was just something inherently magnetic about Zed that he responded to and in the next pages he knew he was going to sleep with her. Why not? You deserve a good lay, John so go for it.

But as things are about to heat up between him and this alluring woman, he picked up a news story from her radio which talked about a missing ten-year-old girl named Gemma Masters. The kid turns out to be his own niece, the daughter of his sister Cheryl. He quickly went to Cheryl's place to aid and Zed tag along with him. It's worth noting that the issue jumps from Constantine's scenes to Gemma's own scenes as she is somewhat hypnotized by a group of girls who claimed to be wives of one man, and they promised her that she will become his bride as well. The eerie atmosphere of these events is very well-executed. I was really uncomfortable reading Gemma's monologues (especially whens she starts talking way out of her depth which led me to believe that she is being controlled or brainwashed telepathically). I guess that's all I'd like to talk about the plot. I sometimes do take time to discuss important plot points for Hellblazer issues so far but I think this one requires more of my insights on how John Constantine is characterized at this point of the story.

I like that we got to meet his family already because now we can understand that Constantine does have loved ones who are still alive, even though he and his sister Cheryl do seem to be estranged from each other. Could it be because of his way of living? Perhaps. It's notable that Cheryl seems like a woman of faith herself, but I don't really see Constantine a religious man in spite of his calling as an occultist. Perhaps this could be one of the things that has caused tension between them. However, I also get the sense that his niece Gemma might have something in common with him, particularly her affinity for the supernatural and occult. She also grew up a lonely kid, and that seemed to worsen when her parents started fixating on this religious, fundamentalist sect, and they had to move closer to the ministry which meant she had to leave her old life and friends behind. I felt like Constantine sympathizes with this and so hurries to rescue her. 

I don't think he even knew that there was something mystical about her abduction. I get the sense that John hasn't been around in his sister's life and her kid's and he's trying to make amends. I think I want to see more of his family in the later issues. It certainly makes me feel for his struggles more, knowing that he has blood relatives to depend on and who can depend on him; and what he could do about that or not do about it. He's not exactly a stay-around kind of guy, is he?

Now as for my thoughts on this new character, Zed: I know she's going to be a more significant character later on and I look forward to knowing more about her alongside John. He does seem intrigued by her presence because he could tell that she's keeping him at arm's length and for possibly valid reasons. Also, Constantine is a man with needs and it'll be great to see him shacking up with someone. That could get complicated, him being in a relationship while working cases. I mean, look at what happened to Emma (and when she got screwed over, they weren't even together anymore). I don't know why I sound like I'm giddy about any foreseeable tragedies in Constantine's life. 

If it was up to me, I wish he gets a happy life; but then we wouldn't have 300 issues of Hellblazer now, would we?


RECOMMENDED: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment